[OSGeo-Discuss] date format

Charles Stover cstover at cityofhuntington.com
Thu May 11 06:11:36 PDT 2006

Whereas, I'm from the US and am totally at home with the month/day/year
format, I run into much confusion when communicating with online
strangers where I don't know what format they are using.  The Aussie
format is more logical than ours in that it has a direction, a flow,
from fine to coarse.  I, too, would like to recommend a change, but, not
from one local idiosyncrasy to another (LARGE localities, to be sure).
I would like to see everything go ISO, eventually.  It also has a flow,
just in the opposite direction, from coarse to fine.  It has the added
advantage of requiring no punctuation as long as the fields are padded
with zeros.  It can include time intervals down to the second or
fraction thereof.  For me, right now is 8:51:10 am on May 11, 2006. It
can be expressed as 20060511085110.  (I don't know how ISO handles
decimal notation for parts of a second.)  Just the date, 20060511.
Punctuation makes it an easier read, but, isn't necessary.  2006-05-11.
See?  The format will work until the year 10,000.
Check it out at
http://www.itsmarc.com/crs/arch0854.htm
Best Wishes,
Charlie Stover