[OSGeo-Discuss] See where all our friends are on my Friend Map!

Lars-Hendrik Schneider schneider at terrestris.de
Fri May 12 05:21:54 PDT 2006

Hi,

perhaps it is worth to have a look at http://www.mapbender.org which is
already running a Mapbender user map. Mapbender is part of OSGEO (and
here using /Mapbender/Mapserver/Postgres/Postgis) - it is quite easy to
setup a GUI for placing OSGEO users...

just my 2 cents,

greets,
Lars-Hendrik

Philip Mark Donaghy schrieb:
> I agree that using google maps implies being tied into a proprietory
> license, but are you going to set up a server and maintain the map. I
> think this group is about getting things done. Open source is about
> getting things done. My job allows me to contribute to open source but
> maintaining a map server requires a server, administration password,
> and time. Time can be spent doing other useful things. Why not use
> what is available now? There is an option to disable it when you have
> your server set up.
>
> Phil
>
> On 5/12/06, Mateusz Łoskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
>
>> Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
>> > Based on a close source solution, OSGEO!? ;-)
>>
>> If there is any interest in OSGeo Community map, then I suggest to use
>> MapServer - the Open Source Software just as it's used by QGIS Community
>>
>> http://qgis.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=53
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Mateusz Łoskot
>> http://mateusz.loskot.net

terrestris Till Adams & Hinrich Paulsen GbR

Lars-Hendrik Schneider
Diplom-Geograph

Siemensstr. 8
D-53121 Bonn