[OSGeo-Discuss] See where all our friends are on my Friend Map!

Delfos, Jacob Jacob.Delfos at maunsell.com
Sun May 14 16:59:56 PDT 2006

It would be quite straightforward to set up an independent
non-commercial site for this on the OSGEO site. I'd prefer an
independent solution of an externally hosted one.
I whipped up a demo a while ago for demonstrating the concept of
IP-locating, which could be used to show users:

http://134.7.49.55/hostip (warning: slow uni lab pc)

It could be altered to allow people to override the latitude/longitude,
and add their name. If people don't have to make the effort of entering
their location, it may convince them to enter themselves more easily. It
could also be used to show visitors to the OSGEO.org site (maybe use a
link to switch between user's and visitors?).

This uses hostip and geostats for IP-locating. It currently uses Google
Earth as a background, but that could be replaced with Ka-Map (I didn't
have space for the whole world at high-res on the harddisk).

Regards,

Jacob