[OSGeo-Discuss] Augmented Reality working group?

Markus Müller mueller at lat-lon.de
Wed Oct 11 00:10:52 PDT 2006

Tyler and others,

a 3D working group would surely be a good thing.

Just some remarks on OGC Web Services and 3D: the approach with the
highest probability of becoming an OGC standard is Web Terrain Service,
it produces pictures from 3D-Data like terain, buidlings, ... Very
important in this regard too is CityGML, a GML application schema for
objects found in cities.

We implemented both of these standards in deegree and made some good
experiences with them.

regards

Markus

Tyler Mitchell schrieb:

> On 10-Oct-06, at 5:48 AM, Andrew Larcombe wrote on Geowanking list:
>
>> Mike Liebhold wrote:
>>
>> > Also, I'm particularly interested in 'first person',  heads-up,
>> > augmented video views of geodata,
>>
>> Amen to that. One of the key things that is hardly ever addressed in the
>> technical geospatial world is the appropriateness of the simple
>> cartesian representation of space. However, phenomenologists from
>> Heidegger onward argue that this isn't how we actually experience our
>> world. 'first person' views (either synthesised or from video) can help
>> us, along with things like viewsheds etc, to understand spatiality at
>> the level of man.
>
> I'm with both of you!  I am interested in starting a geo-augmented
> reality working group so we can at least kick around some of these
> ideas.  Anyone else interested?
>
> Personally, I would like to see open source geospatial tools be
> implemented in the 'true' 3D sphere - true meaning real world
> coordinates for augmented reality so they can be an important part of
> future solutions.  I think we do have a lot to learn from the 3D
> gaming folks, etc. but I wonder where/how us vs them are reinventing
> the wheel?
>
> A few articles from my memory...
> http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2300 - I rant a
> bit in the first comment after the article
> http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2038 - a bit on
> the OGC spec for 3D web services (W3DS)
>
> Anyone got any bright ideas for bridging the augment/virtual reality
> groups with our geospatial goodness plus some of our GIS analytics.  I
> would love to chat more... how about a working group?
>
> Tyler

Dr. Markus Müller
l a t / l o n  GmbH (Hamburg)
Gluckstr. 53a			22081 Hamburg, Germany
phone ++49 +177 2470742		fax ++49 +228 18496-29
http://www.lat-lon.de		http://www.deegree.org