[OSGeo-Discuss] Augmented Reality working group?

ian ian at inpa.gov.br
Mon Oct 16 05:47:10 PDT 2006

Ola,

> Just some remarks on OGC Web Services and 3D: the approach with the
> highest probability of becoming an OGC standard is Web Terrain Service,
Could you explain this statement.Why is this so?

On the standards side there is X3D[1] from the Web3D Consortium, and the
standards which build on it: GeoVRML[2] for specifying large, outdoor
scenes, and H-Anim[3] for humanoid animation.  X3D is the re-working of
VRML in XML, and while VRML has a bad rep for being inconsistently
implemented, it still presents one of the lower barriers to entry of the
3D standards.
By using XML for 3D you also get access to the standard XML DOM for
manipulations and animation (which can be good or bad, depending on
your feelings about the DOM). More powerful scripting can be done with
Python, which has python-visual (on Debian and derivatives)

user at host:$apt-get install python-visual

which is a 3D graphics module for Python.
If you need to do 3D beyond what VPython provides,
but you don't care about the XML aspect of SVG, there quite a number of
tools for 3D which have Python bindings.  The grand-daddy of them all
is PyOpenGL[4], which gives you complete access to the native OpenGL
API (an absolute beast, but it does the job).  The PyOpenGL project
also has a subproject, OpenGLContext[5], which is a learning
environment for OpenGL, much more accessible than raw OpenGL (closer to
VPython), and has a tool for importing VRML documents.

Other 3D Libraries with Python bindings include VTK[6],
CrystalSpace[7], Blender[8], and on the commercial front the Poser[9]
character animation program (version 5) is scriptable with Python.

There is also the H3D API, a GPL (open source) licensed software
development platform for multi-sensory applications. H3D API uses X3D
and OpenGL and is the only X3D engine which support Python scripting as
far as I know. [10]

[1] Extensible 3D Graphics
http://www.web3d.org/x3d.html

[2] Geographical Data in VRML
http://www.geovrml.org/

[3] Specification for a standard humanoid
http://www.h-anim.org/Specifications/H-Anim1.1/

[4] The Python OpenGL Binding
http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/

[5] A Learning Environment for PyOpenGL and Python 2.2.x
http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/context/index.html

[6] The Visualization Toolkit
http://www.vtk.org/

[7] CrystalSpace game development kit
http://crystal.sourceforge.net/drupal/

[8] Blender 3D
http://www.blender3d.com/

[9] Poser 5 Character Animation Solution
http://www.curiouslabs.com/

[10] http://www.h3d.org/
--
Ian Lawrence
Centre for Bioinformatics

| Please do not send me documents in a closed
| format.(*.doc,*.xls,*.ppt)
| Use the open alternatives. (*.pdf,*.html,*.txt)

>>> return [type for type in types if type not in types_to_exclude]
If you can see the beauty, then Python got you