[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo community Maxed out?

Ned Horning nedh at lightlink.com
Thu Oct 26 06:53:39 PDT 2006

Cameron Shorter wrote:

> I've noticed that OSGeo as a community seems to be Maxed out. When an
> good idea is thrown out into the ether, people comment on it, but are
> not following through with commitment to the task.

I expect some of my feelings of being overwhelmed and not sure what to do
will improve once Tyler is up and running as the Executive Director but on
the whole I agree that lack of ownership and not following through with
commitments will need to improve for projects to move forward.

There is no shortage of good ideas but the first reaction to a lot of our
brainstorming sessions is to create a wiki and I get the sense that we have
quite a few half-baked wikis that lack the attention they need to mature. I
don't understand much about the quirks of group dynamics but from my vantage
point the efforts that have been most successful so far were largely due to
an individual's commitment and hard work.

I've been thinking about this the past few weeks as I try to figure out how
I can more effectively contribute to the OSGeo goals. I am working on
developing a couple tasks that I can take the lead on for now, within the
constraints of my day-job, and once I have a draft together I'll pitch it to
the appropriate OSGeo project for feedback and hopeful support.

All the best,

Ned