[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Stack - was: OSGeo community Maxed out?

pmarc paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 08:29:17 PDT 2006

2006/10/26, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:

> For windows I basically want a GUI installer where I pick the packages
> I want, and only those packages are downloaded and installed.  Furthermore

Then, what you mean is something related to The Open CD [.org]
Have a look and

> The challenge then, as I see it, is in the integration.

> Similar issues arise with Linux except I might settle for not having a gui
> installer.  But on linux we also need to be careful not to depend on any
> particular kind of linux.  Any reasonably modern (say Linux 2.2 or later)
> linux on intel should be an acceptable platform.   So this means avoiding
> dependency on system packages except for the very lowest levels is necessary.

On this issue, I don't see a path on a distro-agnostic binary
distribution - well there's autopackage.org, but then I don't know how
it works.

Distributing sources should be good (besides, there should be
provisions to do that, to comply with the GPL), but is not
user-friendly enough.
--
Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX
-22.915 -42.229 = GG87vc (http://www.amsat.org/cgi-bin/gridconv)