[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Stack - was: OSGeo community Maxed out?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 26 08:48:33 PDT 2006

pmarc wrote:
> 2006/10/26, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:
>
>> For windows I basically want a GUI installer where I pick the packages
>> I want, and only those packages are downloaded and installed.
>> Furthermore
>
> Then, what you mean is something related to The Open CD [.org]
> Have a look and

Paolo,

I skimmed the site, but it seems a lot like the GeoFOSS DVD Jeroen
helped produce.  A collection of vetted packages, but they aren't
necessarily closely integrated (I don't really know this - it is
hard to tell from the web site).

>> The challenge then, as I see it, is in the integration.
>
>> Similar issues arise with Linux except I might settle for not having a
>> gui
>> installer.  But on linux we also need to be careful not to depend on any
>> particular kind of linux.  Any reasonably modern (say Linux 2.2 or later)
>> linux on intel should be an acceptable platform.   So this means avoiding
>> dependency on system packages except for the very lowest levels is
>> necessary.
>
> On this issue, I don't see a path on a distro-agnostic binary
> distribution - well there's autopackage.org, but then I don't know how
> it works.

The FGS package (FOSS GIS Suite) for linux is already distribution
agnostic.  It works quite well, though it is not as complete a set of
packages I would want for OSGeo.   FWTools also does this, but it is
rather monolithic rather than package oriented.

I consider FGS a model for what I want to do on linux.

   http://maptools.org/fgs/
   http://fwtools.maptools.org/

Best regards,