[OSGeo-Discuss] Libre Graphics Meeting - Montreal, May 4-6

Sat Apr 7 10:55:53 PDT 2007

Puneet Kishor wrote:

> A long time ago, another life, another place, I used a product called
> Mapublisher made by a Canadian company called Avenza. A plugin for
> Adobe Illustrator, t allowed me to import shapefiles into Illustrator
> and create nice looking posters/graphics, basically bypass the
> limitations of Arcview or of cutting and pasting bitmaps. Slick idea,
> it was.

It's relatively trivial to use Perl, the Geo::ShapeFile module, and
your projection of choice to write a 30-line script that eats
shapefiles and spews out "legacy" Illustrator files (i.e. the
PostScript-based text format, not the modern PDF binary format).

I've no experience of Inkscape, but if it can read either a text
format or one for which a CPAN module exists, I guess it might be
equally easy.

cheers
Richard