[Geodata] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Promoting freely available geodata

Adair, Mike adair at NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Apr 2 10:38:10 PDT 2007

More from the Canadian perspective -  the GeoConnections program policy group has produced a "Best Practices Guide" for licensing of geospatial data which might help to inform the debate:
http://www.geoconnections.org/publications/Best_practices_guide/Guide_to_Best_Practices_v12_finale_e.pdf

It provides a good overview of the background issues and proposes 3 types of licences to standardize on: unrestricted-use with licence acknowledgement (click-through), an "end-user" licence and a distributor licence.

Michael Adair
GeoConnections Secretariat / Secrétariat de GéoConnexions
615 Booth St, 6th Floor / 615 rue Booth, 6e étage
Ottawa, ON, K1A 0E9
Email: mike.adair at NRCan.gc.ca
Phone / Téléphone: (613) 947-1342
Fax / Télécopieur: (613) 947-2410