[Geodata] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Promoting freely available geodata

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Apr 9 07:34:49 PDT 2007

Thanks for that Link Michael.

It will be useful.

Landon

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Adair, Mike
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 10:38 AM
To: OSGeo Discussions
Subject: RE: [Geodata] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Promoting freely available geodata

More from the Canadian perspective -  the GeoConnections program policy group has produced a "Best Practices Guide" for licensing of geospatial data which might help to inform the debate:
http://www.geoconnections.org/publications/Best_practices_guide/Guide_to_Best_Practices_v12_finale_e.pdf

It provides a good overview of the background issues and proposes 3 types of licences to standardize on: unrestricted-use with licence acknowledgement (click-through), an "end-user" licence and a distributor licence.

Michael Adair
GeoConnections Secretariat / Secrétariat de GéoConnexions
615 Booth St, 6th Floor / 615 rue Booth, 6e étage
Ottawa, ON, K1A 0E9
Email: mike.adair at NRCan.gc.ca
Phone / Téléphone: (613) 947-1342
Fax / Télécopieur: (613) 947-2410