[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Geographic Diversity

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 16 16:01:45 PDT 2007

P Kishor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would love hear from others about what they think of geography-based
> Board seats. Please weigh in.

Puneet,

I'm coming to this late.  It is my opinion that "hard coding" specific
numbers of board seats from specific geographic locales is not a great idea
for some of the reasons already mentioned.  However, I strongly encourage
voters to treat geographic, gender, project and other forms of desirable
diversity as a criteria when voting for charter members and board members.

I think Tyler's point that being on the board is not necessary for meaningful
involvement is important.  Also, I think it is clear from this thread that
it is important that the board, regardless of composition, acts to support
our goals for foss4g use all around the world.

I've yet to return to some of the interesting email since I went away on
the challenges in the developing world (though many of them - at a glance -
seems similar to the challenges we face in the developed world).

Best regards,