[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Geographic Diversity

Dave Patton davep at confluence.org
Thu Aug 16 20:54:43 PDT 2007

P Kishor wrote:

> I believe pegging Board-membership to geography is a good thing

> I also believe that while one can contribute as much while being an
> ordinary member as opposed to a charter or a Board member (I became a
> charter member only a couple of months ago), Board membership could be
> an important label to find local support. After all, if there were no
> difference then why even have these different labels? When one is
> going around drumming up support, having a position carries a heft.

Perhaps there is some resistance to "artificially" creating
a geographically diverse Board, but who say that is the
only option? There could be "OSGeo Regional Representatives",
who are elected, and who, by definition, represent specific
geographic regions, without those people necessarily also
being board members. They could have an advisory role to
the Board.

--
Dave Patton

Degree Confluence Project: