[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G and conservation

RAVI KUMAR ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 21:32:28 PDT 2007

The Biodiversity project of India is going to use Opensource GIS for implementing GIS, using their tabulated data. OSGeo India has plans to help the same.

Ravi Kumar

Sean Gillies <sgillies at frii.com> wrote: Ned Horning wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>> I'd like to see OSGeo support socially relavent organizations in use of
> open source
>> software
>
> This is along the lines of what I'm working on so I figure this is a good
> time to chime in to get feedback. I'm involved in a discussion between the
> Society for Conservation GIS (SCGIS) and the Society for Conservation
> Biology (SCB) to enhance an international Conservation GIS training program
> sponsored by SCGIS. The SCGIS has a scholarship program that brings
> international conservation practitioners to the States to receive ESRI
> training, ESRI software, attend the ESRI conference, and sometimes get free
> hardware. It is a great program but it's costly and only meets a fraction of
> the demand.
>
> In principle having an SCB/SCGIS partnership is a good idea but it shouldn't
> be ESRI-centric. I talked about OSGeo and this seemed to raise some interest
> (curiosity?) but I sense skepticism. The (inaccurate) perception that ESRI
> will donate software to any conservation group, largely negating advantages
> of FOSS4G, doesn't help. The SCB has over 10,000 members and I think this
> could be a great opportunity for OSGeo to increase global exposure and
> possibly use it to solicit grant money to support training and software
> development around the world.
>
> SCGIS has a small international network of user groups that can be used to
> expand this program and I'm trying to figure out if OSGeo could help build a
> similar or partnered network for open source offerings. The OSGeo education
> committee members are creating course materials that will be leveraged for
> this conservation-focused training. I addition to that we need to develop a
> network of trainers. How much interest is there among the OSGeo
> community/user groups to support and provide conservation-focused geospatial
> training? I'd like to hear from anyone but I'm particularly interested in
> hearing from people with connections outside of North America.
>
> Distance learning methods would help overcome the problem of distributing
> this training globally but there is a strong interest in sponsoring
> in-person workshops in addition to on-line offerings. Our group at the AMNH
> is working on addressing both of these needs.
>
> Any feedback is appreciated.
>
> All the best,
>
> Ned

Ned,

I accidentally attended the SCGIS summer camp in 2005. I was visiting
Mike Hamilton, Director of the James Reserve and SCGIS activist, who
often hosts this thing. He's very interested in open source, and I think
he'd be happy to add open source to the camp syllabus if the attendees
wanted it. If you're not already in contact with Mike, you should give
him a call.

His ESRI partners, of course, had zero interest in open source, but this
might have changed a bit over the past 2 years.

Cheers,
Sean