[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Presence On Wikipedia

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 22:31:30 PST 2007

Landon Blake wrote:
> We could set up a wiki page to coordinate Wikipedia entries we help to
> maintain, and I could start by migrating some of the appropriate
> definition entries from the dictionary to Wikipedia.
>
> Any thoughts or comments? Is anyone else interested in this? (Is it a
> good idea?)

You would think the idea is good, but Wikipedia has a major problem with
arrogance :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_software_packages#Geographic_information_system
is a starting point for references to software, but if the package is not
'notable' it will be killed as will probably happen with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapnik

And more critically
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_dictionary
PREVENTS using it as a repository of terms :(

So perhaps we need a Openpedia to store all the useful information.

( And I admit to being pissed off with wikipedia because they just culled an
article I wrote on an open source CMS package, while several other
'advertisements' remain - if you LIST open source projects then they should
all be listed - mapnik and other packages should ALL be present ? )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL