[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo Presence On Wikipedia

Alexandre Leroux alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca
Thu Dec 20 07:14:19 PST 2007

Lester Caine wrote:
> And more critically
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_dictionary
>
> PREVENTS using it as a repository of terms :(

As the link you just provided indicates, Wiktionary is the Wikipedia
equivalent for a dictionary. I admit I haven't read this whole thread,
but it would make sense to me to use Wiktionary as a repository of
geo-definitions. As an occasional user of Wiktionary myself and not an
expert, I feel it has a good structure for the management of multiple
languages. And Wiktionary and Wikipedia have strong ties together (e.g.
the ability to link directly to the other website) and Wikipedia's
popularity (even with the numerous imperfections it has) can attract
much more users to Wiktionary.

This is one of the graphs that made me enthusiastic (maybe wrongly?):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wiktionary_growth.png

Have a great holiday time,

Alex

http://slashgeo.org
--
Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
Environnement Canada / Environment Canada
alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca