[OSGeo-Discuss] [off-topic] workstation for GIS. Suggestions?

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Mon Feb 19 08:39:42 PST 2007

On 18-Feb-07, at 3:47 PM, Eduardo Patto Kanegae wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I´m looking for a nice computer to work with GIS/RS applications and
> have been looking some workstations products from HP, Sun and Dell.
>
> Do you have any suggestions or comments for hints?
>
>> From my first overviews I thought that SUN Sparc + Solaris would be a
> nice option. I also like when Solaris video says "each release has 9
> years of support lifecicle".
>
> or do you think is there any other option with less money and same
> power?
>
> best

As much as I like SPARC, you will probably get more bang for the buck
going with Opteron's. The Sun U40 is really nice, we have a lot of
them at work (VFX company) and they are both well made and stupid
fast. They can run Solaris 10 perfectly fine if that is what you
prefer ( we run Windows XP x64 on them ).

shawn