[OSGeo-Discuss] Google Summer of Code

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Feb 20 09:52:36 PST 2007

Just to re-iterate, OSGeo would be an obvious and easy candidate to be a
"mentoring organization" which could serve as an umbrella for SoC
submissions on all sorts of open source spatial projects. I would
volunteer to be the administrator (I did it last year when Refractions
was a mentoring organization) but this year I have FOSS4G as a
responsibility, so I cannot make more time.

OSGeo would have to provide

- 1 Administrator to handle all the organizational aspects and be a
point of contact to the Google SoC administration
- N Mentors, one for each student project
-- Mentors must review the students work, provide them support and
"getting started" help, and write up two short evaluations (mid- and final).

Presumably the mentors would arise naturally from projects proposing
work items they want done and thereby also volunteering to oversee those
items.

In return, OSGeo gets N students, working on their projects for four
months, and $500 cash money per mentor, which can either be given to the
mentor, or kept, depending on what policy osgeo wants to adopt.

Paul

--

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research