[OSGeo-Discuss] Google Summer of Code

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Tue Feb 20 12:05:47 PST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Howard Butler is already doing some legwork to identify projects, and
> students around GDAL but it hadn't occured to me to utilize OSGeo as the
> mentoring organization.  If the different projects come up with a number
> of projects a students is it likely to be disadvantagous to have them all
> come from one organizations (OSGeo) as opposed to spread out as several
> different organizations submitting requests?

You will need a sponsoring organization regardless, and if your
organization is not accepted, the whole procedure becomes moot. Most
"unknown" sponsors got the minimum three students last time. OSGeo, as
an umbrella, nonprofit, multi-project, organization would probably get
quite a few more. My feeling is that on balance the community would be
better served using OSGeo as an umbrella rather than trying to go
individually.  What is important is that a large number of top quality
students do work in the community.

--

   Paul Ramsey
   Refractions Research