[OSGeo-Discuss] Public Address Geo Coding: Join the Team

Sampson, David dsampson at NRCan.gc.ca
Tue Jan 2 13:46:02 PST 2007

Public Address Geo Coding: Join the Team

Dave Sampson here,

This is a blunt call for programmers and users that would be interested
in another geometrics related open source project.

PAGC is the Public Address Geo Coder. We are looking to diversify our
coder base and also get the word out about this established but quiet
project. We are looking for a lead code architect to lead the charge
from a CLI to a library with bindings to python etc.

We are also looking for all types of skill sets and inputs to
contribute.

Synopsis:
The Postal Address Geo-Coder (or PAGC) is a command line program written
in ANSI C that uses an address-ranged street network shapefile and an
address list (in a dbf format file) to create a point shapefile that
provides the longitude/latitude coordinates of each matched address, and
maintains the attribute information in the original address database
file. PAGC is Open Source, and is released under the GNU Lesser General
Public License. PAGC has been built and tested under GNU-Linux,
Microsoft Windows, and Mac OS X. However, since it is written in ANSI C,
it should be possible to build and use PAGC under any operating system
that provides a command line interface.

While PAGC is currently a command line program, we have a major
initiative to create a C library based on the code and algorithms used
in the command line program. This should allow other open source GIS
oriented projects to add postal address geo-coding features to their
software.

The Web page: 	http://www.pagcgeo.org/
Sourceforge site: 	https://sourceforge.net/projects/pagc/

Dev mailing list:
User Mailing List:

If you're looking for a project to get involved with at a critical
juncture then this is your bet.

Join the list(s) and introduce yourself. You might see some familiar
faces.