[OSGeo-Discuss] Localization issues

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 08:08:46 PDT 2007

Hi Jeroen, all,

in the GRASS development, we are facing essentially the same problem.
We have some translation efforts ongoing:

http://grass.itc.it/grass62/i18n.php#statistics
http://grass.itc.it/devel/i18n.php#statistics

but no Web based translation system. I was suggesting to OSGeo
last year, to establish a centralized system for all projects but that
times our infrastructure wasn't ready. In 2007, this might be easier.
I found
 http://www.dotmon.com/kartouche/
there might be more.

There was a problem with Launchpad: from their Web pages, Launchpad
claimed to take the copyright of the translated messages which is
not acceptable by the GRASS team. I was discussing with someone
from Launchpad, the person told me that this wasn't the case but
I didn't manage to make them a clear statement on their pages last
year:
  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/translations/2006-June/000214.html
  http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/translations/2006-December/000246.html

I just checked now, it seems that something has happened:
 https://translations.launchpad.net/legal
But " ... In addition, the translator grants to Canonical Ltd the right
        to publish the translation and use the translation in other
        software packages under their license."

I am not sure if this is GPL compliant (GRASS is GPL). In any case,
I recommend to study their license carefully.

So, maybe we can push for an OSGeo infrastructure.

Best
Markus

PS: I guess my mail to geonetwork-devel gets trapped...