[OSGeo-Discuss] Should old Project Steering Committee members be put out to pasture?

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Tue Jul 17 12:15:20 PDT 2007

We put them out to pasture - if they have not been meeting their
responsibilities for a fixed period of time (ie attended a meeting or
reviewing project proposals). It is a tough decision and GeoTools
managed to paint itself into a corner before enacting this policy
(corner = not enough people in meetings for a useful vote). So far it is
going well; we are trying to have a higher turn over of PMC (so that an
organization with an active project can step up as needed).

I think the GeoServer policy has the best write up:

> If you find you cannot make meetings for a month or two, by all means
> step aside. Thank you so much for your time, if you want to groom a
> successor and then nominate them that is cool, but the nomination
> process still applies.
>
> If we do not hear from you for two months we will assume you lost,
> send out a search party and nominate your replacement.
>
> That is to say, status on PSC is lost if not active at all in a two
> month period of time. Of course you can come back on to the PSC if you
> become active again, but a new nomination procedure will be needed.

Cheers,
Jody