[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Leonardo Mateo leonardomateo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:31:06 PDT 2007

On 6/19/07, Gary Watry <watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I need advice from the experts
>
> I am running Windows Server 2003 with Apache and Mapserver.
> I currently have 9 sites running Mapserver
>
> The Center wants to move to Linux from SGI
>
> I want to run
>
> Mapserver with dbox (Steve, dbox run on Linux?)
> Mapserver as WMS feed to MapBuilder.
>
> On the database side is it
> 1. PostGIS or PostgreSQL
> 2. PostGIS and PostgreSQL (think I have to run PostGIS as front to
> PostgreSQL).
PostGIS is a PostgreSQL extension, is not a front and is not an engine itself.
You will have PostgreSQL databases which you can turn into GIS
databases by PostGIS extension.

> Question:
> What do I gain by going to Linux?
To mention a few items, stability, security, actual server-oriented
OS, flexibility, easy scalability, open and flexible license,
independence (free as in freedom), knowledge

> What do I gain by staying in a Windows Environment?
Maybe a nice and easy to use GUI

--
Leonardo Mateo.
There's no place like ~