[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jun 19 13:02:03 PDT 2007

Gary Watry wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I need advice from the experts
>
> I am running Windows Server 2003 with Apache and Mapserver.
> I currently have 9 sites running Mapserver

To migrate you existing sites, ou will probably need to make some minor
changes to you mapfile and tileindexes if you have '\' and/or drive
letters in you file paths. Also Linux is cases sensitive file names
which might make you crazy if you have a lot of files. I dela with this
by forcing everything to lower case. A little Perl/bash shoudl be able
to fix up everything.

> The Center wants to move to Linux from SGI

There should not be a problem with this. Mapserver and friends run in
both environments. The bigger issues will be how is supporting it.
Mapserver and Postgres and postGIS are all developed on Linux and
supported on both.

> I want to run
>
> Mapserver with dbox (Steve, dbox run on Linux?)
> Mapserver as WMS feed to MapBuilder.

I know this is for the other Steve ;), but dbox and jbox, etc are client
sode tools and should not be a problem.

> On the database side is it
> 1. PostGIS or PostgreSQL
> 2. PostGIS and PostgreSQL (think I have to run PostGIS as front to
> PostgreSQL).
>
> Question:
> What do I gain by going to Linux?
> What do I gain by staying in a Windows Environment?

It is all about what you know and how good you sysadmin types are. I run
both Linux and Windows versions of more of my tools and I have not had a
problem. My personal preference is Linux but that is because that is
what I know and work on the most.

-Steve W