[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Tue Jun 19 12:25:23 PDT 2007

Gary,

I haven't done a lot with "web GIS" so take what I am about to say with
several grains of salt. :]

If you aren't using PostgreSQL right now, but will be after the move to
Linux, I think this is a definite improvement. PostgreSQL is the most
advanced open source database that I have found, and nothing in the open
source world beats PostGIS for "spatially enabling" a database.

I looked into this some months ago. I didn't find any other open source
database, not even MySQL, that allowed for customization and tweaking
like PostgreSQL did.

Besides, the folks at Refractions Research, who maintain PostGIS, are
quite helpful.

Also, if you will be starting out with PostgreSQL and Linux some of my
old notes might be helpful:

http://bluwiki.com/go/PostgreSQL_Tips_From_The_Sunburned_Surveyor

Landon

P.S. - You can use PostgreSQL and PostGIS on MS Windows of course, but
it would be an advantage of moving to Linux.

PostGIS is really an extension to PostgreSQL, not a "front end".
If you are looking for a graphical front end to PostGIS that you can use
as an administrator, check out pgAdminIII.

http://www.pgadmin.org/