[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Gary Watry watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu
Tue Jun 19 11:56:47 PDT 2007

Hi everyone

I need advice from the experts

I am running Windows Server 2003 with Apache and Mapserver.
I currently have 9 sites running Mapserver

The Center wants to move to Linux from SGI

I want to run

Mapserver with dbox (Steve, dbox run on Linux?)
Mapserver as WMS feed to MapBuilder.

On the database side is it
1. PostGIS or PostgreSQL
2. PostGIS and PostgreSQL (think I have to run PostGIS as front to
PostgreSQL).

Question:
What do I gain by going to Linux?
What do I gain by staying in a Windows Environment?

Any thoughts appreciated!

The information transmitted is intended solely for the person or entity for
information.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from
your computer.

Gary L. Watry

GIS Coordinator
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
FSU / COAPS
Johnson Building, RM 215
2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840