[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Zachary L. Stauber zachary at stauber.org
Tue Jun 19 14:49:34 PDT 2007

I've found actually that PostGIS runs as stable under Windows as it does
under Linux, and it's easier to install, plus it's more up to date.  The
RPM's for Fedora are always six months behind what is available in tgz form.
I couldn't find the information to get PostGIS RPM working under Linux, but
under Windows it was a 1 minute install and it was all done for me.  Also it
was easier to set security under Windows.  Under Linux I had to change it in
several places to be able to connect LOCALLY, even though I could connect
from other machines.

     -Zack

Landon Blake <lblake at ksninc.com> said:

> > What do I gain by going to Linux?
> To mention a few items, stability, security, actual server-oriented OS,
> flexibility, easy scalability, open and flexible license, independence
> (free as in freedom), knowledge
>
> > What do I gain by staying in a Windows Environment?
> Maybe a nice and easy to use GUI
>
> That was a good summary! I don't think you can say it better.

including translation and transmission errors. If the reader is not the
have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately.