[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:49:34 PDT 2007

Hello:

I think going Linux way is certainly smarter bet.

There is lot of speed up to gain ( which we instantly noticed switching to
Linux/Apache)

dbox - is client side?! so I dont think it affects your decision on OS

Regarding the question on Postgresql/Postgis - you would need both as you
mention.

Postgis is a layer implemented on Postgresql

Good luck deciding platforms

Gayathri

On 6/19/07, Gary Watry <watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I need advice from the experts
>
> I am running Windows Server 2003 with Apache and Mapserver.
> I currently have 9 sites running Mapserver
>
> The Center wants to move to Linux from SGI
>
> I want to run
>
> Mapserver with dbox (Steve, dbox run on Linux?)
> Mapserver as WMS feed to MapBuilder.
>
> On the database side is it
> 1. PostGIS or PostgreSQL
> 2. PostGIS and PostgreSQL (think I have to run PostGIS as front to
> PostgreSQL).
>
> Question:
> What do I gain by going to Linux?
> What do I gain by staying in a Windows Environment?
>
> Any thoughts appreciated!

> The information transmitted is intended solely for the person or entity
> for
> information.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
> or
> taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
> entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
> this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
> from
> your computer.
>
> Gary L. Watry
>
> GIS Coordinator
> Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
> FSU / COAPS
> Johnson Building, RM 215
> 2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
> Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840