[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au
Tue Jun 19 16:24:26 PDT 2007

Hi Gary,

IMO:

I've been using:

- Windows in its various forms for 17 years.
- Unix in a variety of versions for 17 years.
- Linux (Debian, Ubuntu and Redhat) for 6 years.
- others e.g. MacOS, Mac OSX, VMS, DOS, etc for a number of years.

My preference is Linux.

- Debian on the servers (for stability).
- Ubuntu on the desktop (for currency). Ubuntu is based on Debian with 6
monthly updates.

Why?

- The open source development model tends to lead to more secure code
(many, many eyes looking for bugs).
- Projects are normally Standards based. Therefore less susceptable to
proprietry whims.
- The pace of development over the last six years has been phenomenal.
- Debian derived projects have an excellent package management system
(apt-get) for keeping your systems current, upgrading etc.
- Linux puts fun back into computing if you're willing to read the manuals
occasionally.

Bruce

"Gary Watry" <watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu>
Sent by: discuss-bounces at lists.osgeo.org
20/06/2007 04:56 AM
Please respond to
watry at coaps.fsu.edu; Please respond to
OSGeo Discussions <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>

"UMN-List-Serve *****" <LISTSERV at LISTS.UMN.EDU>, <discuss at mail.osgeo.org>
cc

Subject
[OSGeo-Discuss] Windows verse Linux

Hi everyone

I need advice from the experts

I am running Windows Server 2003 with Apache and Mapserver.
I currently have 9 sites running Mapserver

The Center wants to move to Linux from SGI

I want to run

Mapserver with dbox (Steve, dbox run on Linux?)
Mapserver as WMS feed to MapBuilder.

On the database side is it
1. PostGIS or PostgreSQL
2. PostGIS and PostgreSQL (think I have to run PostGIS as front to
PostgreSQL).

Question:
What do I gain by going to Linux?
What do I gain by staying in a Windows Environment?

Any thoughts appreciated!

The information transmitted is intended solely for the person or entity
for
information.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from
your computer.

Gary L. Watry

GIS Coordinator
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies
FSU / COAPS
Johnson Building, RM 215
2035 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32306-2840