[OSGeo-Discuss] 2007 Google Summer of Code (Student Project Ideas List)

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Mar 12 11:45:06 PDT 2007

I am going to try and help Frank get our ideas list for Google's 2007
Summer of Code wrapped up by the end of the week. I know that the
participating projects have already done a lot of this work here:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code

However, I was hoping I could request some assistance from the
participating projects so that I can get a finalized list put together.
I'd like to ask if each of the participating projects could e-mail me a
text file with the following information for each student project idea:

[1] The name of the Student Project Idea.

[2] The mentor that will be assigned to the project if it is accepted by
Google. I think we want something definite here. Not "possible mentor"
or "suggested mentor". I think the projects need to get this nailed
down.

[3] A brief, one or two paragraph, description of the Student Project
Idea. It is important to remember that the students reviewing these idea
lists may not be GIS or programming experts, or experts on your
particular software, so be careful about your use of technical terms and
jargon. Please also do not send a link to another web page that contains
the description of the student project idea. I'd like to have this
information self-contained in the text file.  You can include links to
technical specifications or other information that applies to the
Student Project Idea and that the student may find helpful in
considering the project.

[4] The contact information for a person the student can talk to for
more information about a Student Project Idea.

One of the reasons we'd like to do this is to encourage participating
projects to really look at their own Student Project Ideas list so they
can tie up any loose ends. We really appreciate each of the
participating projects taking the time to do this.

I will review each submitted lists to check for things like spelling and
grammar errors, broken hyperlinks, and for things that just don't make
sense. I'll try to approach this review from the perspective of a
student, and will direct the questions about the Student Project Idea
description to the appropriate participating project. We prefer to have
a short list of well-thought out Student Project Ideas with few errors,
rather than a long list of confusing or unclear Student Project Ideas
with lots of mistakes and errors.

Thanks,

Landon (A.K.A. - The Sunburned Surveyor)

Warning: