[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4G 2007 Workshop Submission

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Mar 29 15:34:00 PDT 2007

On Thu, March 29, 2007 18:47, Bob Basques wrote:
> All,
>
> Why not simply have an all OSGEO conference.
>
> No reason not to have or be a part of FOSS4G.  But it sounds like there
> is enough interest in having a conference with a OSGEO bent as well.
>
> bobb

Hey,
we have satisfied the need for 150(!) workshop attendees in Germany by
organizing our own yearly conference (called FOSSGIS) with a total of 350
attendees. It runs under the OSGeo banner all right (i still owe a report,
will appear in the Wiki).

I suspect that in the long run we will have to spread a little more and
recognize that the one big FOSS4G event is going to be just that - the one
big event for the meeting of the tribes. It will not be a place to make
everybody show their own most important package in all the detail they
would prefer and neither to show all and everything. We are currently
growing just a little more quickly than we can handle which from another
perspective is a good thing.

So here I go again: Don't complain but get your ass up and organize your
own conference, let it run under the banner of OSGeo, use its brand, press
and web presence and get the word out to the people. Invite other
projects, peers preferred obviously. If you are a bigun like Paul get your
money from Google, if you are a humble one like me let some smallcaps pay
500 bucks for a 10 by 5 booth and let people starve in the first and last
day lunch brakes, it helps to sort out the real ones... :-) Need ideas,
get them on this list (mpg's mail, etc.).

By 2010 we should have 20 or even 50 OSGeo conferences a year all over the
world. One of them is the meeting of the tribes and thats the place where
I want to drink a beer with Steve Rhyme and personally I don't rally need
any workshop to do that.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> On 28-Mar-07, at 10:36 PM, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
>

> That said, with my marketing hat on, I'd love to see all OSGeo
> projects get a priority in workshop submissions.  How would this look
>
> from year to year?  Does it just become same old projects doing same
> old presentations year after year?  Or would we only give newly
> joined projects from the last year the opportunity to showcase in a
> workshop?  Better yet, how about projects that have recently
> graduated from incubation!  Then there is some more incentive to get
> through it.  Now I think we're on to something....
>
> Tyler

Arnulf Christl
http://www.wheregroup.com