[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: FOSS4G 2007 Workshop Submission

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Thu Mar 29 15:35:24 PDT 2007

On Thu, March 29, 2007 07:36, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> Dear people,
>
> Thank you for your information. I have to say I find that pretty
> frustrating and annoying knowing that GeoNetwork opensource is one of
> the incubator projects of OSGEO, the number of OSGEO projects is
> (still) limited and FOSS4G is the OSGEO conference.
>
> Participating with the project in OSGEO has multiple reasons, one of
> them being that it provides opportunities to work on synergies and
> work on marketing the OSGEO software stack. Now how does the intent
> of OSGEOs mission fit with refusing a (single) workshop on one of its
> projects. Maybe I miss something, but I'd assumed there was at least
> some kind of a relation!?
>
> Looking forward to some good feedback and discussion on this, also on
> the OSGEO mailing list as I consider that discussion very relevant in
> the further development of outreach strategies for ourselves and the
> OSGEO foundation through conferences.
>
> Core question:
>
> "Should OSGEO projects have guaranteed workshop and presentation
> space for at least one session?"
>
> Regards,
> Jeroen

Hey Paul,
without wanting to break your planning, would it be possible to cut the
Mapbender Workshop slot and share it with GeoNetwork (if they are happy
with 1.5 hs)? I would be pleased to shorten our part a bit to make some
space as I think that metadata actually is a highly important bit. So far
I do not see anything else on metadata.

I don't want to start shuffling and all but yes, I feel some arguments are
right.

Regards,

> On Mar 28, 2007, at 5:58 PM, FOSS4G 2007 wrote:
>
>> Dear Jeroen Ticheler,
>>
>> We regret to inform you that we will not be able to accept your
>> Half Day
>> workshop, "Using the GeoNetwork opensource Spatial Data Catalog",
>> for the
>> FOSS4G 2007 program.  We had a very large number of submissions
>> this year, and
>>  have been able to accept less than half of them
>> .
>>
>> We hope you will consider bringing some of your ideas to the
>> conference in the
>>  form of a presentation. The Call for Presentations is currently
>> open, and
>> there is room for 120 presentations at the conference this year
>> .
>>
>> http://www.foss4g2007.org/presentations
>>
>> Yours,
>>
>> The FOSS4G 2007 Conference Committee