RES: [OSGeo-Discuss] A report on my recent trip to Brazil

Rafael Medeiros Sperb rsperb at univali.br
Mon May 21 12:32:46 PDT 2007

Dear Listners

Regarding Mr. Kishor report, it should be noticed that, in the past, INPE has taken a path apart from the international efforts towards open standards. Only recently it shifted, what will be, in my point of view, beneficial to potential users not only in Brazil, but all other countries. So, I am anxious to see INPE as one of the OSGeo members...

Meanwhile, I would like to bring attention to two important efforts in Brazil. First one is the Public Software Portal from the Brazilian Federal Government (http://www.softwarepublico.gov.br/spb/) which aims at providing open source software for governments under public license. It also seeks to establish users' communities so as development efforts might be orchestrated. The second one is the development of I3GEO, a very comprehensive MapServer application that has several features and functionalities implemented in Portuguese (http://mapas.mma.gov.br/i3geo). This application has been developed by the IT team of the Brazilian Environmental Ministry under Edmar Moretti's leadership. At this moment it is distributed as GPL, but sooner (I hope!!!) it will be in the public software list of the Brazilian Federal Government. It is worth to check it, and I would seriously consider to incubate such effort under OSGeo.

Cheers,

Rafael Medeiros Sperb
G10