[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G e-primer first draft

Franck Martin franck.martin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 19:48:56 PST 2007

Hi all,

I'm releasing a very raw first draft on an e-primer on FOSS4G I'm writing.
This e-primer should eventually be included in the e-primer list from
www.iosn.net. The work is carried out from the Pacific Islands node of IOSN.
I did some announcements a while back on this list.

As I say this is still a very raw draft, but I'd like some early comments.
My goals is not to explain how to do GIS/RS but give enough pointers on what
is out there so that people feel that the field is mature and that they feel
confident to use FOSS4G professionally.

-I'd like to know if I have forgotten any application
-I'm looking for writers for the two missing chapters
-I have started to request one or two forewords from people involved in the
community

English is not my first language, so do not worry about it yet.

Any contribution in the form of added paragraphs is most welcome. These
contributors will be acknowledged in the draft.

I'm planning to have a complete draft by end of the month. We have a GIS/RS
conference here (cf www.picisoc.org) and I'd like a draft ready by then.

Where to get the first draft?

http://www.peachymango.org/tiki-index.php?page=FOSS4G

Cheers

Franck Martin
franck.martin at gmail.com
"Toute connaissance est une réponse à une question"
G. Bachelard