[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G e-primer first draft

Jeroen Ticheler Jeroen.Ticheler at fao.org
Sun Nov 11 23:49:34 PST 2007

Hi Franck,
Excellent start and good initiative!
My first quick comment will obviously be on the GeoNetwork section,
since that's where I'm most involved in :-)

It would be good if you use the name "GeoNetwork opensource".
It would be nice if you could make it clear in the section that the
FAO GeoNetwork is just one of the implementations out there.
GeoNetwork opensource is at its basis and there are already many more
implementations up and running. The software is used in a number of
national SDI initiatives and in all of the large United Nations
Agencies.

Greetings and good luck with writing!
Jeroen

On Nov 12, 2007, at 4:48 AM, Franck Martin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm releasing a very raw first draft on an e-primer on FOSS4G I'm
> writing. This e-primer should eventually be included in the e-
> primer list from www.iosn.net. The work is carried out from the
> Pacific Islands node of IOSN. I did some announcements a while back
> on this list.
>
> As I say this is still a very raw draft, but I'd like some early
> comments. My goals is not to explain how to do GIS/RS but give
> enough pointers on what is out there so that people feel that the
> field is mature and that they feel confident to use FOSS4G
> professionally.
>
> -I'd like to know if I have forgotten any application
> -I'm looking for writers for the two missing chapters
> -I have started to request one or two forewords from people
> involved in the community
>
> English is not my first language, so do not worry about it yet.
>
> Any contribution in the form of added paragraphs is most welcome.
> These contributors will be acknowledged in the draft.
>
> I'm planning to have a complete draft by end of the month. We have
> a GIS/RS conference here (cf www.picisoc.org) and I'd like a draft
> ready by then.
>
> Where to get the first draft?
>
> http://www.peachymango.org/tiki-index.php?page=FOSS4G