[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

mdragon at ciesas-golfo.edu.mx mdragon at ciesas-golfo.edu.mx
Wed Nov 14 02:12:21 PST 2007

SDF faster than dbd: wow!

I think the SDF very much solves the issue as Puneet put it, but I will
add to the wish list a few things which may be optional but certainly
usefull and valuable as time saver:

- optional space for metadata,
- optional thumnails (in 2 sizes: thumb and browse)
- optional embeded symbols (truetype/svg glyphs) and prefered layout
- optional coloring and styles, break values, rendering and
  scale limits, persistent joins or relates, color ramp, ...
- SRS is a must, complete projection parameters.
- full set of attibute types (c, int2, int4, int8, float, double,
  txt (i18l), date and timestamps (with gmt precise offset), blobs, ...
- Data range limits, enforced coherence, and presentation format/templates
- indexing (unique and non-unique) on key attributes
- could use integers or floats for coordinates
- uuid (unique id, directory/name independent)

I would just love to click open and see something nice, specially if
someone has already taken the time to make it beautiful.

Think of it as the output of a word processor instead of an editor.
Excel vs. VisiCalc; and the list may go on forever.

All this is to say: not only the data needs a better container, the maps
as well.

Manolo.