[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new, open data format

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Wed Nov 14 04:20:39 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 04:12:21AM -0600, mdragon at ciesas-golfo.edu.mx wrote:
> I would just love to click open and see something nice, specially if
> someone has already taken the time to make it beautiful.
>
> Think of it as the output of a word processor instead of an editor.
> Excel vs. VisiCalc; and the list may go on forever.
>
> All this is to say: not only the data needs a better container, the maps
> as well.

A data format is not a 'container' for maps, it's a container for data.
The container for your maps should be something like WMC (though I
don't know if it makes sense off the web): grouping together datasources
and SLD and the like. The first half of the things you identified:

> - optional space for metadata,
> - optional thumnails (in 2 sizes: thumb and browse)
> - optional embeded symbols (truetype/svg glyphs) and prefered layout
> - optional coloring and styles, break values, rendering and
>   scale limits, persistent joins or relates, color ramp, ...

are things which are provided by SLD and the like, which means that you
really want SDF + WMC -- I don't think that this is SDF's job, and I
don't think that it should be the job of any geodata format.

Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer