[OSGeo-Discuss] Supporting new projects

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Oct 1 10:48:54 PDT 2007

I would like to encourage this discussion to be less about specific
projects and more about the general concept of providing new projects
a place to get started.  This type of discussion (the one below) also
needs to happen, but at a project-specific level.

I would encourage Bob to bring his list of concerns/differences of
opinion to the openlayers dev mailing list where the pros and cons
can be discussed in a level of detail that might otherwise nauseate
others :)

At a generic level, I am of the opinion that projects have design
goals and architectures developed to suit the goals.  I believe that
it is possible to have many different approaches to solving a problem
and by always encouraging folks to look at existing projects, some
interesting new approaches may not be considered.  As much as Chris
(and I for that matter) like OpenLayers, it is possible that someone
could have a better idea for how to approach the problem it solves
and that this new approach would not fit OpenLayers for any of a
number of reasons.  If we didn't encourage this, we'd still have ka-
Map and OpenLayers wouldn't exist.

Returning to my original point, then, should OSGeo provide support
for getting new projects off the ground?

Cheers

Paul