[OSGeo-Discuss] Supporting new projects

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Mon Oct 1 13:15:45 PDT 2007

All,

I knew the comments were going to touch a nerve somewhere.  That's why I
purposely kept things vague.

I don't agree 100% about the non-relevance though, overlapping stratgies
were exactly what I was trying to comment on, and promote as a
development method.  Our Project came out of our day to day work, and we
though it of value to the community.   The discussion here was about
supporting new project or not because of the perceived overlap, I was
stating that we defintely had overlap and with which project, I don't
see how the talking could proceed without naming things.

The support I would rally for from OSGEO, would be in the reviewing
process, something along the lines of a para-professional (team??)
taking a look at the project and reviewing for others so they can take a
deeper look.  This is the exact type of thing that our project is
missing, a promotions aspect.  It executes it's designed functions very
well (we think).  Listing the catagories a project might be listed under
and how it's functions differ from other packages of the same type.

bobb

Paul Spencer wrote:
> I would like to encourage this discussion to be less about specific
> projects and more about the general concept of providing new projects
> a place to get started.  This type of discussion (the one below) also
> needs to happen, but at a project-specific level.
>
> I would encourage Bob to bring his list of concerns/differences of
> opinion to the openlayers dev mailing list where the pros and cons can
> be discussed in a level of detail that might otherwise nauseate others :)
>
> At a generic level, I am of the opinion that projects have design
> goals and architectures developed to suit the goals.  I believe that
> it is possible to have many different approaches to solving a problem
> and by always encouraging folks to look at existing projects, some
> interesting new approaches may not be considered.  As much as Chris
> (and I for that matter) like OpenLayers, it is possible that someone
> could have a better idea for how to approach the problem it solves and
> that this new approach would not fit OpenLayers for any of a number of
> reasons.  If we didn't encourage this, we'd still have ka-Map and
> OpenLayers wouldn't exist.
>
> Returning to my original point, then, should OSGeo provide support for
> getting new projects off the ground?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul
>
> On 1-Oct-07, at 1:29 PM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
>
>> (I'll disclaim this by saying that OpenLayers is one of the projects I
>> think of as 'my' open source projects: OpenLayers, TileCache,
>> FeatureServer. However, I think that I could make the same argument for
>> other libraries that are not mine as well.)
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 11:35:58AM -0500, Bob Basques wrote:
>>> Also, I believe that there are some flaws with the coding approach in
>>> some cases for OpenLayers.  I'm trying not to downplay Openlayers here,
>>> but I believe that Open Layers is at the point of a re-write as well.
>>
>> I'm wondering what makes you think that. Is it something that has been
>> said, or do you feel this way from observation of the code or something
>> else?
>>
>> For the record, although I do feel that OpenLayers can only last another
>> 6 months or so before we go to version 3.0 (though I'd love to make it
>> last longer), even when we do so, by the time we do, it will probably be
>> very similar to Python's setup -- you write your application for 2.x,
>> turn on debugging to ensure there are no deprecation warnings, and if
>> there aren't, then you can probablye switch to 3.0 without any problems.
>>
>> I can't say that this will be the path for sure, but I highly doubt
>> there will be a substantial rewrite of OpenLayers in the next 12-18
>> months.
>>
>>> Recently we've been discussing using the OpenLayers tiling "get"
>>> methods
>>> for incorporation into our package, but some concerns about memory