[OSGeo-Discuss] Canadian Chapter (call for interested individuals)

Dave Sampson samper.d at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 21:13:08 PDT 2007

Calling all Canucks,

Over at the Ottawa Chapter there has been a gaggle of discussions
concerning chapters and OSGEO activity in Canada.

The Ottawa chapter up until now has been the only Canadian OSGEO chapter
and it looks like that other chapters are popping up now.

Some of the feedback that came from the OSGEO conference this year is
that the local structure of Ottawa seemed to be an exclusive group. Some
have said that we even resemble a social club. Geeks being social is not
a new concept. This perception may be because we have focused on monthly
face to face meetings. Drinking beer and socializing is a very exclusive
and social activity for any Canadian so I can see the misunderstanding.

Seriously though we discussed a bunch of options. Everything from
dissolving the Ottawa chapter to represent all of Canada to setting up a
national chapter with regional branches.

This is where I present the concept of the Canadian chapter of OSGEO.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Canada

Right now we are looking for people to post their name indicating they
are interested in such a concept and hashing out some ideas of what such
a club, errrr I mean chapter might represent.

In our discussion over here in politic ville some of us think that while
local chapters can really focus on grassroots and local issues and
represent locally, a Canadian chapter might have a place too.

A Canadian chapter could be a gathering place for those that are facing
issues specific to Canada but don't have a local chapter YET. Perhaps
this could be a group that helps other local chapters organize. perhaps
local chapters can have a representative that keeps tracks of things in
the Canadian chapter and their local chapter and make sure the gaps are
bridged across the country.

With FOSS4G 2008 in Capetown, South Africa perhaps the Canadian chapter
might be responsible for organizing a regional conference for all of
those who might not be able to attend over seas but still want to
network and chat, some code sprinting and BOF. Maybe even run
consecutively and linked via web to the other conference.

The Canadian chapter could keep its eye out for national level
conferences that move around the country. They can help mobilize
resources to get local groups to participate to represent OSGEO. perhaps
even a lobbying body for policy and advocacy for getting open source GIS
into government, education and other areas. Collaboriation on Canadian
group projects.

Two large realms that OSGEO has lots of opportunity to play are
Academics and Government. A National chapter might have more leverage
than a local chapter.

There are plenty of possibilities.

perhaps if we get enough interest we'll move towards requesting a
mailing list.  The count is 7 right now with the following distribution:
BC - 2
Ottawa - 3
Quebec - 1
Charter member - 1

lets see if you can't get 5 people from every province and territory. if
you know someone that might be able to gain from this endeavor then seek
them out and bring them on board. And you folks in BC and Southern
Ontario wanting to or already setting up a chapter lets share your
experiences with others.

Cheers