[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Proposal: Statement of OSGeo Legal Support

Allan Doyle afdoyle at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 30 12:23:12 PDT 2007

On Oct 30, 2007, at 15:09 , Michael P. Gerlek wrote:

> Way back on that cold day in Chicago, I'm not sure anyone ever really
> thought about what it would mean when we said we'd "offer legal
> protection".
>
> Does it imply/lead-to/entail some sort of indemnification?  Ouch, that
> would be pricey...  How does the Apache gang, et al, handle this?

My recollection is that the Apache gang carefully keeps their coffers
empty and makes sure the code all legally belongs to the Apache
Foundation. Thus there's not enough of a pot of gold to win in a suit.

However, I'm guessing that this strategy depends on a pretty well-
defined process to ensure there are no loopholes.

	Allan