[OSGeo-Discuss] Board Proposal: Statement of OSGeo Legal Support

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:30:16 PDT 2007

Good processes + no money is an acceptable strategy so long as we have
consciously made this decision and everyone is aware of the strategy.

Allan Doyle wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2007, at 15:09 , Michael P. Gerlek wrote:
>
>> Way back on that cold day in Chicago, I'm not sure anyone ever really
>> thought about what it would mean when we said we'd "offer legal
>> protection".
>>
>> Does it imply/lead-to/entail some sort of indemnification?  Ouch, that
>> would be pricey...  How does the Apache gang, et al, handle this?
>
> My recollection is that the Apache gang carefully keeps their coffers
> empty and makes sure the code all legally belongs to the Apache
> Foundation. Thus there's not enough of a pot of gold to win in a suit.
>
> However, I'm guessing that this strategy depends on a pretty
> well-defined process to ensure there are no loopholes.
>
>     Allan
>

>> -mpg

>>> 2. Board votes to select best option.
>>> 3. OSGeo financial sponsors are given opportunity to contribute to
>>> decision.
>>> 4. OSGeo budgets for decision