[OSGeo-Discuss] Is there an Open Source software application thatwill draw a graticule on a map?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Sep 7 10:18:03 PDT 2007

Puneet,

  I'm hoping that (someday?) high quality cartography WILL
be point-and-click.  The three apps I looked at come pretty
close:
    uDig    - sophisticated, complicated GUI; focus on GIS
not cartography
    QGIS    - simple GUI, a print composer, but features
(e.g. a real graticule) missing
    gvSIG   - look and feel of ArcView 3.x (the good and the
bad), but no graticule

  I think Paul Ramsey said it best in the Directions Mag
interview
(http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2517&tr
v=1):

"The first project to produce a stable and complete ArcView
3 replacement will gobble up a huge user share, and become
the default application for building the "high end" analysis
and cartography functionality."

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta