[OSGeo-Discuss] Is there an Open Source software application thatwill draw a graticule on a map?

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:55:52 PDT 2007

On 9/7/07, P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> wrote:
> Brent,
>
> I am not sure ArcView or its open source replacement can produce the
> kind of stuff Markus has been producing (maybe it can, just that I
> haven't seen any). Most, really, really good cartographic output, the
> kind you can print at 1500 dpi on a Scitex printer at 8 feet by 20
> feet requires a helluva lot of work, and lots of planning. If you pick
> up ESRI's map book, almost none of that stuff is produced with ArcView
> and home laser printer. It is likely, however, that when you say "high
> quality cartography," you are not referring to this kind of stuff.
>
> Markus Neteler's stuff seemed to me of such beauty (raster software
> does make for wonderful output) that it is something worth trying to
> recreate. I am sure though that it is not point and click. Best is to
> let Markus opine on this.

I have a nice (complex) paper map done with ps.map by Municipality
of Trento (Italy) on my office desk. About A1 or A0 size. I will try to
make a photograph of it on Monday so that you get an impression.

What you can do with GRASS/ps.map:
- raster maps
- vector maps, with all line thinkness, (rotated) labels, even
  optionally with optimized placement etc.
- grids, graticules
- symbols (EPS etc, incl rotation)
- hatching
- legends, titles, frame, etc
- right res output as PostScript permits

What's missing:
- graphical point-and-click interface

What's expected:
- graphical point-and-click interface :)

  We are having it on the agenda to be developed for the
  Municipality of Trento. They are funding a series of GRASS
  improvements (financing from 2005-2009).
  It will be most likely done as part of the new Python based
  GRASS GUI which is available from GRASS-SVN.
  Certainly: the more people contribute the faster it goes.

Cheers
Markus