[OSGeo-Discuss] Is there an Open Source software applicationthatwill draw a graticule on a map?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Sep 7 13:00:14 PDT 2007

Puneet,

  You're right; my goal is the 600dpi, 36 inch wide paper
cartography.  Basically, the kind of map you can produce in
an hour or two (with the appropriate software and a $5000 HP
plotter).  This I think should be within the scope of Open
Source GIS, while the pre-press/mass production/film writer
stuff is not (not enough demand?).

  So to focus my investigation I started the week with a
question: Using the Canadian federal government CanVec
topographic vectors, how close to creating a printed
National Topographic Map could I get using an Open Source
GUI-based desktop GIS application?

  The answers:
        From a programmer:    Pretty close. Look, the
contours are brown!
        From a cartographer:  Not close at all.  Where's the
graticule?!

(no offense meant to programmers or cartographers!)

Ahh, so much work to do...

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta