[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

RAVI KUMAR ravivundavalli at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 22:31:47 PDT 2008

Hi,
this is the kind of question I face when in my lectures evangelising OS GIS.
ArcGIS has many tools, though some prefer to call it a deluge of tools, which almost distance the user from understanding the concept of GIS.

Auto Complete Polygon:
In Qgis which is a very userfriendly OS GIS you have 'Cut polygon', do try and find the difference.

Polygonising from lines:
Open JUMP has one of the most userfriendly approaches.
Create lines and polygonise in OpenJUMP and the software automatically
creates a folder for Dangles (un-wanted line pieces)

The query is more for Vector GIS, I suppose.

GRASS GIS:
It has so many features for Image analysis and Raster GIS, the commercial GIS need a barge pole to even touch it. The vector Part of GRASS is robust too.

Ravi Kumar

Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org> wrote: On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:55 PM, George R. C. Silva
 wrote:
>  One thing GIS OS software could have are better editing tools. I do miss
> them alot, and the one is ArcGIS are unbeatable (i dont know any O.S.
> software that have 'autocomplete polygon', tons of snapping options, etc -
> btw, if you do, let me know).
>
>  FOSS is great, but it lacks (IMHO) better editing options.

We are working on that:
 http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Digitizer

Screenshots:
 http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/gui.php
 -> wxPython (new GUI)

You can try out the prototype in GRASS 6.3.0 (released yesterday):
 http://grass.osgeo.org/announces/announce_grass630.html

Get MacOSX, Linux and now even native MS-Windows binaries with *installer* at
 http://grass.osgeo.org/download/index.php#g63x

Enjoy
Markus