[OSGeo-Discuss] Can I do the same GIS tasks with OS (as with ESRI)?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 22:44:10 PDT 2008

Ravi,
What us Open Source evangelists are missing is an honest comparison
between ESRI desktop applications and Open Source equivalents.

What is it about ArcView and ArcGIS that people really like, listed
feature by feature in a table.
Then identify whether Open Source covers it and how.
Very important is to address usability. How quickly can an Arc* user
migrate to Open Source?
My skill set is lacking here as I don't have much experience in either
ESRI or the Open Source desktop tools. It seems like you have experience
with both which puts you in a unique position.

Is this something you, or one of your students would like to investigate
further? Maybe build a table similar to this one:
http://www.spatialserver.net/osgis/Desktopgis_overview.htm