[OSGeo-Discuss] Map of Wiki/OSGeo Members

Bob Basques Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Aug 13 18:49:15 PDT 2008

A thought . . .

How about just doing something based on page access and downloading.  Don't need to get into the details of exactly who looked at what, but you could generate some interesting map based reports of who is looking and downloading what.  Just plot the geocoded points to a file with the Log data as attributes.   All sorts of stuff you could pull out of the logs.   I even did something like this for Bounding boxes from our MapServer, to show the areas of interest for different web customers.  I never got past the experimental stage with what we did here, but it was very interesting to look at in map form.

bobb

>>> "Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo)" <tmitchell at osgeo.org> 08/13/08 6:09 PM >>>
How is it going on your project, what is the status?  Your efforts
sound really interesting and could be broadly useful - so I hope you
can finish it.

I'm not convinced that geocoding IPs is going to be as useful for
OSGeo though - I think that many members will never use the wiki.
Recently I checked revisions and more than half the revisions were
done by only 10 people :)  To get the categories set for each user
did you have to do them manually, or did most people do it themselves
after the reminder?

Tyler