[OSGeo-Discuss] Manage translation in OSGeo project

Yves Jacolin yjacolin at free.fr
Sun Aug 24 06:59:52 PDT 2008

Hi,

** History **
2 years ago I began to translate the GDAL-OGR documentation into french. In
order to do things correctly I contacted FrankW to know which way was the
best to do things. As I began to work on a OOo document, we decided that I
will send the dox files for gdal and ogr utilities. The other pages are now
hosted by my personal website (which aims to host all my documentation).

** Currently **
Now it is finished, and after contacting some other projet, I saw that some
project did not think about translation process and hosting. QGIS host its
documentation in LaTeX files in SVN which is a quiet good solution but with
some constrainte (not all people know LaTeX tags and a lot are afraid about
editing LaTeX files). Some other are using Trac wiki which seems quiete
limited (but I am not aware of all its possibility).
In the past (not so far) I tried to run the Cartoweb Community [1] using
Dokuwiki and some hack to manage langage process, but this is not good
enough.

** Some propositions **
Well, I have no one, but as I am mainly a translator and began writing some
other documentation, I think this is time to think about this (for my
personnal point of view ;) ). I think this is important that all
documentation should be in the same website as the original, see Dokuwiki
website [2] for a good example (to me).

We have to think about hosting pages, but also all the translation process:
who is doing what, when do we need what modify, who change what, etc.

** Conclusion **
The purposes of this mail are :
* tell to everybody (project committee, dev) to not to forget to think about
translation
* run a discuss about this small "issue".

Best regards,

Y.
[1] http://ww.cartoweb-community.net
[2] http://www.deezer.com/track/848
--
Yves Jacolin

"Give freedom to people is not enough, we also have to give them the power to
use this freedom, to act". M Gauchet