[OSGeo-Discuss] Manage translation in OSGeo project

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Aug 25 09:15:22 PDT 2008

Yves,

"We have to think about hosting pages, but also all the translation process:
who is doing what, when do we need what modify, who change what, etc."

I believe there are really two (2) areas in which OSGeo projects can focus on translation:

(1) Easing the translation of the GUI of FOSS GIS projects.
(3) Writing program documentation in a way that makes translation as easy as possible.
(2) Understanding how internationalization can impact non-GUI design decisions.

The first list item above is the most obvious. How many OSGeo projects currently support internationalization? I know that OpenJUMP does, and that this involves a serious investment in programmer time and energy. But I think the end result is worth the effort. I oftentimes wonder if internationalization is one of the reasons why JUMP foundered and OpenJUMP blossomed...

The second list item has a lot to do with document design and layout. I've found, for example, that separating graphics from text can make translation a lot easier, at least for documents that are not laid out dynamically, like PDF and many word processor documents.

The third list item is much less obvious, and sometimes I don't even recognize that I might be dealing with a translation issue until I make a concerted effort to think like a non-English speaker. For example: OpenJUMP Feature Schemas reference simple feature attributes by attribute name or a numerical index. I wanted a way to test if a feature schema contained a set of attributes that met a group of minimum requirements. I realized that I shouldn't use attribute names for this test, but the numerical position and/or data type of the attribute instead. This is because an attribute with a name of "point description" in English is going to have a totally different name in German, though the attribute will serve the same logical purpose. What I should really be doing in the feature schema test is looking for at least one String attribute in the last position of the schema.

Maybe we need a short guide on providing internationalization support for open source GIS programs?

The Sunburned Surveyor